Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Homeschooling...Approved

I finally got the call yesterday saying that we can begin homeschooling. I was so excited! I called the school and told them it would be the girls' last day and that I would be picking them both up when they got out. I sent out our letters of intent. Everything was going great!!! Then I remembered last Thursday, when the girls came down with MMATSA (Mommy's Mad At the School Again). It was a bad case and I decided to keep them home and start using their new curriculum. It was a mess. I didn't know what I was doing...they didn't know what I was doing.

Today, was a bit better. Not much. If my three-year-old wasn't used to having me to herself all day, every day, she probably wouldn't throw such big fits when I am working with one of the other girls. Hearing her scream, "You need to color with me" at the top of her mighty loud lungs makes things tough. Then when you send her to her room for not listening or behaving, she gets louder. "I done being loud mommy. I done wit my fit!!!" Mmm hmm, sure you are!

I was told a week or so ago that I was in for a fun ride. At the moment, I feel like I'm in an old Yugo, broken down on the side of the road. A road with no passer-bys. I know it will get better. We are, after all, just starting. I just hope that by summer I will have upgraded to a Pinto.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you'll do fine. The girls will do fine. There must be a plan, goals and real curriculum, but the structure of your school days is up to YOU. You will find your rhythm and when you do, you will feel like you've upgraded to a Cadillac! Your youngest will have the biggest adjustment because she IS the youngest and, as you say, she's had you all to herself until now. But she will adjust. The public schools have regimented days because logistically, they have to. But you don't have to. You can have school for two hours in the morning, then take a three hours lunch-special-time-with-youngest break if you want to. The older girls can work on independent projects during part of that time. Does the youngest still take a nap? That's perfect one on one time with the older girls.

    It will get better, I promise. Just relax and set about figuring out what works for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good News, happy to hear you prevailed.

    The first few days of any new undertaking are always a little rough, in the navy we called it the shakedown cruise, meaning anything that isn't working properly or at loose ends will shake loose and come to your attention so you can deal with it.

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is good news! Hope it gets easier and better for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I am so happy to hear that! It's a bumpy ride at first... But it'll get better :)
    Yay, yay, yay!

    ReplyDelete